Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Our team at SERVPRO Montgomery County understand fires have a mind of their own. After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first.
Please check our list below to give you some tips to help prepare you in case of an emergency.
Do You Have Smoke or Fire Damage?
Have Any Questions?
Call SERVPRO of Montgomery County Today – (931) 645-1285
SERVPRO of Montgomery County strives to keep the community informed. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up-to-date, and for helpful tips and resources, we may share. We are available 24 hours, 7 days a week!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (931) 645-1285
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.