Recent Fire Damage Posts

Why Smoke Detectors Are Important

7/6/2020 (Permalink)

We've learned fire safety and what to do when you hear a smoke detector first in school – and it’s repeated to us every year until we go to middle school. And – we’ve been in the home when the batteries run out of the smoke alarm or every time we cook it sets off the alarm because it’s a little too close to the stove so we take down the smoke alarm.

We know this is bad, and we should think twice before taking out the batteries. Why? Because fire detectors work. According to The National Fire Protection Association three out of five home fire deaths come from homes that don’t have a smoke alarm. 

So, be sure to check your smoke detectors once a year, replace the batteries and make sure each fire detector is working in your home – they save lives after all! 

For all your fire cleaning needs, give us a call today at (931) 645-1285!

Overcoming Soot Damage

7/2/2020 (Permalink)

Team SERVPRO Has the Experience to Eliminate Many Different Types of Soot Residues Remaining in Your Home After a Fire

Your Tennessee home was not intended to stop fires before they spread to other areas of the house. In fact, most of the materials used for the construction of your home have the ability to catch fire and help it to spread throughout the structure. Unfortunately, this can spread the effects of this blaze all throughout your property and cause a lot of work for the professional restoration team that you choose to help clean up this mess. 
 
Working to clean up the mess after the incident is over is no easy task, either. Most often the substantial effects that stand out are smoke and soot damages. These are common versions of fire damage in homes, and they can often prove to be challenging to remove without the right equipment. 
 
Fortunately, our SERVPRO professionals have the tools and expertise to help you through often widespread soot damages throughout your household. While the most concentrated of this effect can get found around the fires originating point where it burned the longest, this is not always the case. This matted debris and film from the combustion leaves a dark, often black residue on surfaces, furniture, flooring, and other materials. 
 
Removing this residue requires multiple approaches. For wall surfaces, scrubbing with wet and dry sponges can often remove the bulk of the present film. Confined spaces like ductwork require high powered vacuums to get used instead. 
 
Smoke damage often presents itself in the form of a harsh odor lingering in fabrics, carpeting and open spaces throughout affected areas of your house. Removal of this odor typically requires thermal fogging, a process that releases an unscented chemical compound into the environment and contents of the room to break apart odor molecules and leave no discernable scent behind. 
 
There is very little that most homeowners can do alone to bring their homes back from the harmful effects of a fire. When you face these kinds of damages, seek out the professionals we employ at SERVPRO. We can respond quickly and get your home back to preloss conditions as soon as possible. Give us a call 24/7 at (931) 645-1285

Five Ways to Avoid Kitchen Hazards

6/25/2020 (Permalink)

Stove on Fire from Grease Fire SERVPRO of Montgomery County has fire damage restoration experts.

Many people in Tennessee love to cook. But even seasoned chefs sometimes make costly mistakes. Here are five helpful ways to avoid kitchen hazards such as a drain clog or grease fire.

1. Keep Your Vents Clean

It’s important to keep the vent screens above your stove clean. Otherwise grease can build up on the screen and inhibit the ventilation becoming a contributing factor in a kitchen fire. The grease build-up could even make a fire worse. 

2. Don’t Leave Pans Unattended

Most cooks know never to lean a pan unattended on the stove. The pan could be knocked over, grease can splatter, or the food can be allowed to cook too long. Each of these things can be a fire hazard.

3. Don’t Put Grease Down the Drain

When you're done cooking it may be tempting to pour the hot grease down the drain. Built up grease in drain can lead to a drain clog and sink overflow. Instead the grease can be poured into a container, allowed to cool and then placed in the trash.

4. Wipe Out Greasy Pans Before Washing

Wipe out any remaining grease and food particles before washing your pans. This can help prevent buildup that may lead to a sink clog.

5. Call a Professional to Service Appliances

If you’re having problems with your stove or drain it may be time to call a professional. They will know how to fix the problem without causing a potential electrical fire. These can come from attempting to fix a broken stove or clogged dish disposal without the correct tools. If fire or flooding does occur, then a fire and water damage restoration service may be able to help.

Following these tips can help you prevent problems like a drain clog or grease fire. Never leave your stove unattended when it’s on, don’t put grease down the drain, and call a professional if your kitchen appliances need maintenance. In the event a fire or flooding does happen in your kitchen, then a restoration professional may be able to help.

Inspecting your home for damage after a fire

6/22/2020 (Permalink)

A fire in a commercial business or a property managed real estate complex can be devastating, but when you add in the additional damages from the sprinkler systems kicking on, the commercial damages are enormous. Businesses and apartment complexes cannot afford to close for a day; it affects the lives of many different individuals. SERVPRO of Montgomery County offers 24/7 commercial damage services to get commercial businesses back on their feet in as little time as possible.

Using SERVPRO commercial services is like a one stop shop. Continuing with the example, if a fire burns through a commercial business and the sprinkler system turns on, there are going to be both fire and water damages. SERVPRO’s commercial services are an umbrella term that extends our normal services into a commercial setting. SERVPRO is able to simultaneously treat fire and water damages. Our commercial services reduce the cost that businesses pay because they do not need to look for multiple companies. The other additional benefit to SERVPRO is that they are essentially a liaison between insurance companies and clients.

Unfortunately, disasters are not preventable, but companies like SERVPRO are there to make it “Like it never even happened,” with their residential and commercial services. 

You can trust our SERVPRO of Montgomery County fire restoration specialists to work quickly to bring your home back to how it should be. Give us a call anytime at (931) 645-1285.

Kitchen Fire Tips

6/15/2020 (Permalink)

Between 2012-2016 the NFPA found that cooking was the leading cause of fires within the United States. It’s important to remember safety when cooking in our homes. Don’t leave stove tops or ovens unattended and if you do have to leave the room to host guests or for another reason, be sure to take an oven mitt with you to remind you that something is cooking on the stove or in the oven. 

If you happen to have a grease fire in your home, do not pour water on it! It seems like it’s elementary, but when you’re panicked with a fire in your kitchen sometimes you can do silly things. Instead cover the fire with a cookie sheet to suffocate it. If it’s a small fire you can also use salt to put it out as well. Make sure to always have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case a fire breaks out in your kitchen. 

For all your fire cleaning needs give us a call today at (931) 645-1285

Fire Damage Restoration in Clarksville TN

3/25/2020 (Permalink)

Before and After of Smoke Damage Restoration Smoke Damage Restoration in Clarksville TN. SERVPRO of Montgomery County can make it "Like it never even happened."

Clarksville Home Fire Damage Restoration

We recently responded to a service call regarding a local Clarksville home that experienced fire damage and was in need of SERVPRO of Montgomery County’s cleaning and restoration services. This home suffered extensive smoke damage from a grease fire that occurred in the kitchen. This fire also affected the roof of the home because the fire ended up burning through the ceiling, resulting in a large hole in the roof. As a result of the firefighters putting out the fire, there was also water damage issues inside the house.

Our team of production and service technicians arrived on the scene to remediate the damages. We cleaned all of the house, including the walls, ceilings, and all surfaces. Since the majority of the structure suffered smoke damage, including all of its contents, we hand cleaned every little bit of the client’s personal belongings, including mattresses, lamps, and many other household items. The house’s air ducts were also thoroughly cleaned by our trained on-staff experts.